It is said that knowledge is critical, and the place where it is gotten is in schools. And most of the time, this acquired knowledge is to be tested, just like the Test of English Foreign Language Test(TOEFL). The English Foreign Language Test is essential, and the benefits are beautiful when done.
And the TOEFL qualifications set up more effective career options and can propel you towards roles you may have never considered. Are you looking to start your career in an English-speaking country? This post will critically address the necessary aspects of the English Foreign Language (TOEFL)Tests and why it is done.
Test of English as a Foreign Language is a standardized test to measure the English language ability of non-native speakers wishing to enroll in English-speaking universities. The test is accepted by more than 11,000 universities and other institutions in over 190 countries and territories.
TOEFL is one of several major English-language tests in the world, including IELTS, Cambridge Assessment English, and Trinity College London Tests. The TOEFL iBT test is the world’s most accepted English-language test for study, work, and immigration. More universities and institutions prefer it, so you can be confident you’ll stand out to admissions officers where it counts.
Compared to standardized tests such as the SAT, ACT, and GRE, the TOEFL is generally considered easier (assuming you have strong English skills) since it focuses more on testing those skills than testing your knowledge of mathematical equations or nuances in writing.
The TOEFL iBT test aims to evaluate the English proficiency of people whose native language is not English. TOEFL iBT scores are primarily used to measure international student’s ability to use English in an academic environment. It is essential to know that the TOEFL iBT test is offered more than 60 times yearly at authorized test centers worldwide.
Types of TOEFL Test
TOEFL iBT Test
- The TOEFL iBT test is scored on a scale of 0 to 120.
- Each of the four sections (Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing) receives a scaled score from 0 to 30. The scaled scores from the four sections are added together to determine the total score.
- The reading and listening sections are tested first, followed by a ten-minute break. The speaking and writing sections are then completed following the break. A maximum of 203 minutes is allowed to complete the Test process.
- Each speaking question is initially given a raw score of 0 to 4, with a 1-point increment, and each writing question is initially given a raw score of 0.0 to 5.0, with a 0.5-point increment. These scores are converted to scaled scores of 0 to 30.
Paper-based Test (PBT)
- The final PBT score ranges between 0 and 677 and is based on three subscores: Listening (0–68), Structure (0–68), and Reading (0–67). The minimum possible score is 310, which corresponds to 31 scores for each section. Unlike the CBT, the Writing component score (referred to as the Test of Written English, TWE) is not part of the final score; instead, it is reported separately on a scale of 0–6.
- The score test takers receive on the Listening, Structure, and Reading parts of the TOEFL test is not the percentage of correct answers. The score is converted to consider that some tests are more complex than others. The converted scores correct these differences. Therefore, the converted score is a more accurate reflection of the ability than the raw score is.
- The TOEFL PBT was discontinued at the end of May 2017. Official testing in areas without internet or computers now uses the TOEFL PDT.
General ID Document Requirements
With few exceptions, ID documents must meet all of the following requirements. Each ID document must:
- Be an original document; photocopied documents are not acceptable, and documents cannot be presented on a mobile phone or any other electronic device
- Be a physical ID; an electronic ID issued to a mobile phone or any other electronic device is not acceptable
- Be a government-issued national/state/province identity card issued and recognized by the country where you are a citizen or resident..
- Be valid; expired documents are not acceptable..
- Include your full name and date of birth exactly matching the name and date of birth you used to register, excluding accents or diacritical marks
- Include a recent, recognizable photograph
- Include your signature (the name on the ID and the signature name must match).
TOEFL iBT Test (at a Test Center)
Authorized TOEFL iBT test centers are open in locations around the world. Find available test centers and dates. Openings can vary by location and may depend on local conditions and government requirements outside ETS’s control.
Be sure to review What to Expect on Test Day to learn about the procedures you must follow and the enhanced safety procedures in place. You can also check with your local test center for a complete list of health and safety procedures they’ve implemented.
What to Bring to the Test Center
The list of things you must bring to the test center on the day of your TOEFL iBT test is short: They are as follows;
- valid, acceptable identification (ID)
- A mask
- A printout of your order confirmation email (for the Paper Edition test only) — you will need to record information from the email on your answer sheet.
- Two or HB pencils and erasers (for the Paper Edition test only) — mechanical pencils are not permitted.
TOEFL iBT Home Edition
The TOEFL iBT Home Edition is the same TOEFL iBT test you would take at a test center, just taken from the privacy of your own home and monitored online by a human proctor. It is trusted and accepted by universities worldwide. Review and meet the At Home Testing Environment and Equipment requirements before registering for the Home Edition.
Equipment and Environment Requirements for At-Home Testing
- A computer
- Browser download and equipment check
Environment and Testing Space
- Tabletop and seating
- Clothing appearance
- Notetaking Materials
TOEFL iBT Paper Edition
You can take the TOEFL iBT test on paper in select countries if you prefer that testing format. The Paper Edition is the same 4-skills TOEFL iBT test, delivered on paper and in 2 testing sessions. The Reading, Listening, and Writing sections are taken on paper at a test center.
The Speaking section is taken home on your computer and monitored online by a human proctor within three days after the paper sections. The Paper Edition is available in Colombia, India, Mexico, and the United States. Additional countries will be added in the future.
How To Register
Watch this step-by-step video to learn how to register, what you need for test day, and what the test will be like. https://youtu.be/jB-glosLN5k
The TOEFL test can be practiced by clicking on it here.
Essential Things to Know When You Register
- Information regarding the test center and test date availability are subject to change. The most current information regarding test centers, dates, and other registration information is available through your ETS account.
- Not all test centers are open on all test dates.
- When you select a date range and general location, you will see a list of test centers in that area. If you are
- If looking for a specific center that is not listed, try a different date range.
- During registration, you can select up to 4 free score recipients.
- Register early; “test dates can fill up quickly.
- Take the test as soon as possible so your scores will be received in time to be considered with your application(s).
- Registration is not transferable.
- Walk-in registration is not available.
- Return to your ETS account the day before your test to check your appointment details online or via the app. Changes, such as a different building or start time, may have been made.
To learn more about the TOEFL Test, click on the link below;
Conclusion On TOEFL Test
The TOEFL Test is of great importance to every student to study at their preferred colleges. As mentioned above, the TOEFL Test requires you to be fully prepared before the test day. As you get updates about TOEFL Test 2022/2023, please bookmark our website Aimglo and share this post with your friends.
Also, don’t forget to bookmark our website Aimglo, as we continue to provide you with the best School and Job Offer just like The TOEFL Test 2022/2023, with all Articles posted on our Aimglo being Accurate and free from Misinformation.